I am watching the morning news and it’s all about numbers. Some good, some not so good, some really bad. Here are a few, in descending order:
- 2018: The year when Ottawa plans to introduce a new low-income transit fare.
- 417: The provincial highway number of the Queensway, which has been reopened after yesterday’s huge crash.
- 175.6: The amount of rain, in mm, that Ottawa received in the month of May.
- 80: The estimated number killed by a massive ISIS terrorist bomb in Kabul.
- 21: The highest expected temperature of the day and, incidentally, the entire week, in Centigrade.
- 15: The new minimum wage, in Canadian dollars, as proposed by the Ontario provincial government.
- 7: The age of a baby, in months, who died allegedly due to her mother’s negligence in Gatineau.
I thought of turning these bullet points into a numbered list, but that would have been too confusing.